The Warburg Institute
The Warburg Institute will provide approximately 10,000 images of Renaissance and Baroque book illustrations for the ARTstor Digital Library. The images will be selected from the collection of rare books housed at the Warburg Institute Library.
The Warburg Institute was founded in 1921 by Aby Warburg (1866–1929), a German scholar of Renaissance art and culture. After its transfer from Hamburg to London, the Institute was incorporated in the University of London in 1944, eventually becoming a founding institute of the University's School of Advanced Study. As a research institution, the Institute's main purpose is to further the study of the influence of classical tradition in all aspects of Western civilization, whether art, architecture, language, literature, religion, science, philosophy, social customs, or political institutions. To support interdisciplinary research in these fields, the Institute maintains a Library of over 350,000 volumes, a Photographic Collection of over 300,000 images, and an Archive.
The Institute stems from the personal library of the Hamburg scholar Aby Warburg (1866-1929), whose research centered on the intellectual and social context of Renaissance art. In 1921 this library became a research institute in cultural history, and both its historical scope and its activities as a center for lectures and publications expanded. In 1933 it moved from Germany to London to escape the Nazi regime, and in 1944 it was incorporated in the University of London. It is now a member-Institute of the University's School of Advanced Study.
|Total size of collection*||10,157|
|Percentage of completion||100%|
|Search terms||"warburg institute library"|
* Image totals should be regarded as an approximation until a given collection is 100% complete. Users should also bear in mind that the number of images available to them may vary from country to country, reflecting ARTstor’s approach to addressing an international copyright landscape that itself varies from country to country.
Last updated: June 20, 2011
Cesare Cesariano, "Round structure, theater interior and details" Published in Di Lucio Vitruuio Pollione De architectura libri dece, traducti de latino in vulgare, affigurati, comentati, & con virando ordine insigniti (Italian translation of Vitruvius by Bono Mauro and Benedetto Jovio, with commentary by Cesare Cesariano, edited by Antonio Gallo and A. de Pirovano). Book 5, Chapter 6. Como: Gotardus de Ponte, 1521. Image and original data from The Warburg Institute Library