National Gallery of Art
ARTstor is collaborating with the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC, to share more than 700 images of European paintings, sculpture, and decorative arts from the Samuel H. Kress Collection in the Digital Library. Samuel H. Kress (1863-1955) made an initial gift of nearly 400 primarily Italian paintings and sculptures to the National Gallery of Art before the museum opened in 1941. This represented the first major addition to the permanent collection after the founding donation of Andrew W. Mellon. For the next twenty years Kress, his brother Rush H. Kress (1877-1963), and the Samuel H. Kress Foundation reorganized and refined the Kress Collection, adding important works of German, Dutch, Flemish, French and Spanish art. The Kress Collection at the National Gallery of Art now consists of more than 1,800 works of European art from the 13th through the 18th centuries, including paintings, sculptures, medals, prints, drawings, and decorative arts, as well as an important collection of historical picture frames.
Artists represented in the National Gallery of Art collection in ARTstor will include: Fra Angelico, Giovanni Bellini, François Boucher, Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Hieronymus Bosch, Sandro Botticelli, Agnolo Bronzino, Canaletto, Jean Siméon Chardin, Petrus Christus, François Clouet, Piero di Cosimo, Lucas Cranach the Elder, Jacques-Louis David, Donatello, Duccio di Buoninsegna, Albrecht Dürer, Anthony van Dyck, Jean-Honoré Fragonard, Domenico Ghirlandaio, Giorgione, Giotto, Francisco de Goya, El Greco, Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres, Lorenzo Lotto, Andrea Mantegna, Simone Martini, Hans Memling, Nicolas Poussin, Pontormo, Raphael, Peter Paul Rubens, Luca Signorelli, Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, Jacopo Tintoretto, Titian, Veronese, Antoine Watteau, and many others.
The National Gallery of Art is one of the world's pre-eminent museums. It was created in 1937 by a joint resolution of Congress accepting the gift of Andrew W. Mellon, the founder of the Gallery. The Gallery opened in 1941 when President Franklin D. Roosevelt accepted the West Building, designed by John Russell Pope, and the collections it housed on behalf of the people of the United States of America. In 1978, the Gallery opened the East Building, designed by I.M. Pei, to accommodate its growing collections and exhibition programs. The permanent collection currently includes approximately 114,000 works, which trace the development of Western art from the medieval period to the present.
|Total size of collection*||715|
|Percentage of completion||100%|
* Image totals should be regarded as an approximation until a given collection is 100% complete. Users should also bear in mind that the number of images available to them may vary from country to country, reflecting ARTstor’s approach to addressing an international copyright landscape that itself varies from country to country.
Last updated: January 13, 2010