Website Support Specialist, User Services
Want to help others navigate a digital library of scholarly content that Library Journal named “Best Overall Database”?
Our team is committed to helping end users get the most out of JSTOR (jstor.org) and Artstor (artstor.org), and we're looking for people for either our Ann Arbor, MI or New York, NY location with the right mix of compassion, communication skills and technical knowledge to join our ranks. We connect with students, librarians, and researchers worldwide to offer multi-channel support via phone, email, chat and social media. As part of a small team, you'll likely get your hands dirty with a little bit of everything.
Sure, you'll be handling a lot of emails and phone calls in this role—that will always be there—but support is so much more than grinding through an inbox. This is a real problem-solving job. You’ll have influence in determining how best to contribute your talents and skills in User Services. There’s room for innovation when it comes to better serving our users. We care deeply about your professional development and long-term goals. We may fly you to a conference to connect with other support and library professionals or provide opportunities for training to grow your skills.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the Website Support Specialist are:
- Provide direct assistance to members of participating institutions, to individual subscribers, non-affiliated individuals, and internal staff.
- Troubleshoot a wide range of queries and share information on various ITHAKA products and services via phone, email, chat and Twitter.
- Use SugarCRM to track and respond to support queries from librarians, faculty, students and independent researchers.
- Collect detailed feedback to help our product teams identify needs and prioritize feature releases.
- Write and edit response templates, documentation for our internal Knowledge Base, and online help documentation to empower users to serve themselves.
- Regularly meet service standards for quality and responsiveness to a portion of the 50,000+ end user queries we answer every year.
- Stay up-to-date on the features and functionalities of a broad range of ITHAKA products and platforms.
- Frequently work with Support Services staff to enhance workflows and advocate for end users.
Challenges You’ll Overcome
We need an enthusiastic teammate who thrives in a rapidly changing environment. You will use your strong social and analytical skills to understand and untangle reported issues. The other side of support is working with the product development teams. Product managers and developers need to know what users are saying, and it will be your job to share that with them as effectively as possible. You'll use careful judgment to decide when a bug can stay under the radar versus when you should sound the alarm.
Skills, Experience, and Characteristics
- Our motto is “If you have a question, we’ll get you an answer.” There may be times when you don’t know the answer, and that is okay. This is where deep organizational knowledge will benefit you in knowing where to find the information needed to assist the user. You are comfortable working independently and will occasionally be responsible for taking a project and running with it. Other times you’ll work collaboratively with members of your team or colleagues in other units in the organization.
- Your ability to listen to users, identify common themes, and communicate clearly will be incredibly valuable. You’re self-driven with a sense of urgency and draw satisfaction from going above and beyond to provide solutions. You regularly make people feel like they were the best part of your day. We represent ITHAKA on the front lines, so it’s paramount you demonstrate professionalism while providing standout service.
Work for us
Come join our team of talented and dedicated people with great ideas who want to make the world a smarter place. Individuals will be rewarded with excellent career development and a fantastic benefits package that includes:
- Choice of two medical plans, one at no cost to the employee
- Employer paid dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance programs
- Employer contributed retirement and much, much more
How to apply:
Interested candidates can submit their resume, a detailed cover letter, and salary requirements to:
ITHAKA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.