Minneapolis College of Art and Design Faculty Artists

The Minneapolis College of Art and Design (MCAD) was founded in 1886 by the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts in order to offer “the same kind and grade of facilities offered in the best American arts schools (for) the training of persons devoting themselves to art as a profession, to diffusing the principles of art, and to the cultivation of the public tastes." Originally called the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts, the school moved several times before finding a more permanent location in the Minneapolis Institute of Fine Arts. When the MIA opened in 1915, the school occupied its ground floor and later, a separate building. During the early part of the 20th century, the school expanded its curriculum, building on its strong vocational focus to encompass fine arts and design, and later humanities and sciences. In the 1970s, the school changed its name to the Minneapolis College of Art and Design and moved into a new building designed by Kenzo Tange. By 1988, MCAD became an independent institution. Today, more than 700 students are enrolled at MCAD, taught by faculty members offering classes in everything from drawing to web design, graphic design to filmmaking, animation to marketing.

MCAD's faculty is comprised exclusively of working artists and designers. With the assistance of Allan Kohl, Visual Resources Librarian at MCAD, examples works by the following faculty artists are now represented in Artstor:

David Goldes

Professor, Photography
MFA, Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, NY
MA, Harvard University

Michael Kareken

Associate Professor, Painting/Drawing
MFA, Brooklyn College, CUNY

David Rich

Adjunct faculty, Painting/Drawing
MFA, University of Oregon