Davis Museum at Wellesley College
The Davis Museum at Wellesley College (the Davis) has contributed over 8,000 images of its permanent collection to the Artstor Digital Library. The selection in Artstor presents the holdings of the global collection across varied curatorial areas.
The Davis, one of the oldest academic collections in America, is home to approximately 11,000 works of art and objects dating from antiquity to the present, with strengths in painting, sculpture, works on paper, and photography. Highlights include the work of historical painters from the Renaissance to the nineteenth century, from Jacopo Pinturicchio to Mary Cassatt, as well as respected modernists and living artists from Willem de Kooning to Lygia Pape.
The Davis debuted in 1889 as the Farnsworth Art Building on the Wellesley College campus with a collection that originated with the college founder Henry Fowle Durant, who deemed it necessary to a liberal arts education for women; when Wellesley introduced art history in 1885, it was among the first American colleges to offer the subject.
In 1993, a building designed by Rafael Moneo became the home of the newly named Davis Museum and Cultural Center (in honor of the benefactor and alumna Kathryn Wasserman Davis and her husband).