Cincinnati Art Museum

Sandro Botticelli. Judith with the Head of Holofernes. c. 1469-1470. Tempera on panel. Image and original data courtesy of Cincinnati Art Museum.

The Cincinnati Art Museum has contributed approximately 1,000 images from its global collection to the Artstor Digital Library. The selection in Artstor provides a survey across many curatorial areas with an emphasis on European and American paintings and sculpture, Asian paintings and ceramics, decorative arts (notably American), and fashion.

With a permanent collection of more than 67,000 works with an international reach and encompassing six millennia, the Museum features the art of Egypt, Greece, and Rome, as well as Asia, Africa, the Americas, and Europe, fashion and textiles, photographs, decorative arts and design, and contemporary art.

In 1881 the Cincinnati Museum Association was incorporated by local citizens. Five years later, the first home of the museum, designed by James W. McLaughlin, was completed in Eden Park and was heralded as “The Art Palace of the West.” While the original structure remains as the main monumental entrance to the Museum, expansions and restorations have greatly increased the capacity of the galleries, the library and the administrative facilities. Thanks to the support of The Lois and Richard Rosenthal Foundation the museum is able to offer free admission in perpetuity.